Yesterday, while going through my e-mail I had a message from a really great client who found me through Active Rain. Towards the end of his message he stated:
"It seems business is good based on your blog. I still read it regularly. Keep up the great stories, especially the ones about the bad agents. Makes me feel all the more appreciative I found a good agent when I bought my place!"
The public is reading our posts. Why should we be writing about bad agents and posting it publicly? Some may say we are airing our dirty laundry. Some may say you are hurting the reputation of the profession. I feel it is just the opposite. I have sure written more than my share of posts about this and similar topics.
In this post I have decided to list some of the benefits of posting these topics publicly. Do we do it to say how great we are? Or is there a much better reason?
Here are a few of the benefits I that come from writing about bad agents or bad business practices.
- We start a discussion among professionals that help us all learn and improve our business practices.
- It is a vehicle for new agents to learn their trade through the experiences of other agents.
- It is a wonderful way of educating the public so they know what to watch out for when dealing with those in the real estate profession.
- It keeps these issues top of mind with agents when they are conducting business. Hopefully helping them from repeating others mistakes.
- It provides the public with questions to ask of any real estate professional when interviewing them.
- The more open we are, the more the public can trust us. We will also be dealing with more educated clients.
- It is a great way for potential clients to check us out and learn more about our business practices.
- Hopefully we are helping to raise the level of professionalism in our trade and the level of expectations from the public.
That last one may get a few questioning me. Why would you want to raise the level of expectations from the public? The answer is simple, we as professionals take pride in what we do and know that an informed public will gravitate towards us and avoid those who are not so professional. Education for both us and the public is a good thing in my mind.
In the future I will continue to write about professional standards, ethical business practices and bad agents and bad business practices. I will also right about the good agents and good business practices.
Next week we will be hosting the CRS Sell-a-bration in Waikiki at the Hilton Hawaiian Village with many of the top REALTORS® in the country in town. Tied to that event will be the Honolulu Active Rain Gathering on Monday evening 1/28/08. We have room for a few more people so please contact either Randy Prothero or WooHoo Celeste "Sally" Cheeseman.
Randy L. Prothero, REALTOR®
Principal Broker, ABR, AHWD, CRS, e-PRO, GRI, MRP, SFR
Island Style Realty Inc.
Team Leader - "The Prothero Group"
Randy Prothero is well established as an expert in working with military / VA clients and first time home buyers. His home seller's (listing) campaign is one of the most aggressive marketing programs in the area.
Based out of Mililani, Hawaii. Randy services the island of Oahu (Honolulu County) Performs mediations and ombudsman services for the Board of Realtors. To improve overall professionalism in his area Randy also offers classes for real estate agents.