I have been doing this a few years and have represented more than a few people selling their home.
Some of these examples may sound a little tongue in cheek, but are based on real life experiences. Some examples on the list were from sellers I chose not to represent. You can probably guess some of the ones that fell in that category.
Most sellers are great folks to work with and have followed our best recommendations to a successful conclusion. The list below represents and very small percentage of the sellers I have interacted with over the years. A few potential sellers account for more than one of the listed items below.
- Your hair dresser does not know more about pricing homes, than your real estate agent.
- No your home is not worth $100,000 more because you have the original 50 year old avocado appliances. They are not antiques, they are just old.
- Yellow shag carpet is not back in. Even if it were, people do not want the original carpet from the 70s.
- Finding the cheapest agent is not a good system. If they can’t defend their own commissions, how will they defend your price? Sometimes the cheapest is still too expensive.
- A buyer will not fall in love with your home and be willing to pay far more than anything else ever sold in the neighborhood. Even if you could find such a buyer, their lender will have something to say about it.
- Most buyers will not see past the dirty dishes in the sink and the junk cars in the yard. Please clean the house and yard before showing it.
- Not everyone is a dog or cat lover, many are even allergic. Please remove the dogs and the dirty litter boxes for showings and do everything possible to eliminate the pet smells.
- You cannot expect to get full value on the major additions to the home, that was not permitted.
- Your neighbor is wrong. Your home is not underpriced. If it were it would be sold already. They just want you to raise the value of their home (Conflict of interest).
- If your home has been on the market for an excessive period of time, it is simply overpriced.
Mr. / Ms. Seller there are only three variables in establishing the actual price your home will eventually sell for. The side of a cliff is not a gentle slope.
- The Market - which you have no control over.
- Condition – which you control.
- Asking price – which you control.
- If you stand on a chair and look out the second floor window and you see the ocean between the trees and buildings; it is not considered an ocean view.
- A cabinet under the stairs does not count as a wine cellar.
- Staging your home costs less than your first price reduction. It sells your home for more money and it sells faster.
- Please remove anything from the home you do not want stolen or in pictures on the internet.
- No, we are not trying to give away your home. We also want it to sell for the highest price possible. Not only is our commission being tied to the sell price, so is our reputation in the neighborhood.
- The plants your son is growing in the closet, with grow lamps; are not ferns.
Selling a home can be a stressful process. By not following the advice of good professionals, your level of stress can go up tremendously and your chances for success will diminish greatly.
If you are looking to sell your home on Oahu, bring me in ahead of time. I can help you plan the preparation of your home and to guide you through the process. We have aggressive marketing programs designed to sell homes faster and for more money.
Randy L. Prothero, REALTOR®
Broker-in-Charge, ABR, AHWD, CRB, CRS, e-PRO, GRI, MRP, SFR
Team Leader - "The Prothero Group"
Randy Prothero is well established as an expert in working with military / VA clients and first time home buyers. His home seller's (listing) campaign is one of the most aggressive marketing programs in the area. His luxury home listings sell faster and for more money.
Based out of Mililani, Hawaii. Randy services the island of Oahu (Honolulu County) Performs mediations and ombudsman services for the Board of Realtors. To improve overall professionalism in his area Randy also offers classes for real estate agents.